This blog was originally published on the WebWise 2013 blog.
By Lisa Rhody
This year, WebWise participants will have more pre-conference workshop choices than ever before! There will be eleven possible pre-conference workshops offered over the course of the day on Wednesday, March 6th. Workshops will range from 90 minute to 3 hour sessions with 4 to 5 possible workshops running concurrently.
When WebWise registration opened in January, conference registrants were offered an opportunity to suggest workshop ideas and to vote on existing ideas using social idea generating software called IdeaScale. Based on the outcome of participant feedback, we have solicited experts in each area to run workshops that target the interests of this year’s participants. In addition to those workshops offered as a result of IdeaScale voting, four additional workshops have been planned on topics such as running prize competitions, picking a platform, project management, and touch interfaces. Workshops have been designed to address the needs of a wide range of skill levels and interests such that everyone can find something new to discover and to take back to their home institution.
The full list of workshop offerings is available below with links to short descriptions. Furthermore, the most recent WebWise agenda lists the times of each workshop. You may be interested to discover that several of the 90 minute workshops will run twice, so that participants will have an opportunity to experience a wide variety of offerings.
Those who have registered for WebWise and who noted that they were interested in participating in the pre-conference workshops are eligible to attend. There will not be a sign up in advance for workshops. Instead, participants will have the flexibility to choose the workshops they want to participate in throughout the course of the day and “vote” with their feet.
Thank you to the many conference participants who took time to participate in our IdeaScale voting and who helped shape this year’s workshop offerings. We’re looking forward to a busy and productive day to kick of this year’s conference.
- Creating Interfaces to Digital Collections (90 minutes)
- Stem in Video Game Design: (3 hours)
- Engaging Visitors with Social Media (3 hours)
- Juggling All the Pieces: Project Management for Beginners (90 minutes)
- Picking a Platform (90 minutes)
- Maker Spaces in Museums and Libraries (3 hours)
- Digital Public Library of America (3 hours)
- Digital Preservation (90 minutes)
- Designing Prize Competitions (3 hours)
- Beyond Likes and Hits: Guerrilla-Style Evaluation and Digging Deeper Into Data (90 minutes)
- Multitouch Collaborative Computing & Other HCI Delights (90 minutes)